St. Anthony of Padua
Variant names of the community listed in the Geographic Names Information System are La Sauses, Los Sauces, and Los Sauses.
The community came into being in the mid-1860s as a ford where stagecoachs and other wagons crossed the Rio Grande. Though small, it contained a store, dancehall, and a post office from 1895-1920. In 1941 (then population 150), it was written that the community was settled by Antonio Marquez, Jose Rodriques, and Fernando Borrego in 1863-64, and was called "Sauses," which is Spanish for "willows," and named after the trees along the river and lagoons that look like that tree. The name was intended to be "Los Sauses" but became "La Sauses" on a post office application, and the error was never fixed.
The adobe church La Capilla de San Antonio de Padua, first constructed in 1880, and replaced in 1928, is located in the community, and is listed in the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties. Source https://kids.kiddle.co/Lasauses,_Colorado
18900 County Road 28
Los Sauces, CO 81151
305 West 8th Ave
Antonito, CO 81120